Monday, February 18, 2008

President's Day

So, today was a holiday for all those government and government-related workers--that meant me. I love these bonus holidays. They are great! I had extra time to run errands so I:

  • Finished my taxes. Ouch.
  • Crocheted another four inches on a baby blanket! The sucker is 41 inches wide X 22 inches long and growing. Baby is due in two weeks. I need to start moving!
  • Went to the eye doctor and order new glasses.
  • Picked up a friend and had lunch.
  • Went with said friend to look at new furniture for my living room (got a new brown leather couch and recliner! Bye-bye 70's jungle print!)
  • Came home and watched a bunch of Star Trek Voyager episodes.

Which leads me to why I wanted to blog. I'm on a number of e-dating sites. Okay 2. But that's a number, right? Anyway, site 1 is religion specific, and I've gone out with a couple of guys from those sites. One for like six months. And it didn't work. I've done long distance and across town. Site 2 is secular, and I haven't really gone out with anyone. But, now, I'm emailing with this EXTREMELY patient guy, who lives a bit a way (four hours), who is a religion professor (but not my religious background, who does however have a background in sacramental theology and knows the entire Ordinary of the Mass in Latin--randomly awesome). Anyway, it turns out that this same guy got his PhD where I did my undergrad. We missed each other at the UofI by three months. How crazy is that? Small world. Anyway, as e-dating goes, this guy gets points because he uses paragraphs, proper grammar, and punctuation. And asked me about my job. Brave man. So, we'll see. This leads me back to what I wanted to say orginially.

I went to a talk last week given by Sr. Timothy Prokes, FSE, who gave quite the interesting lecture on Theology and Virtual Reality. She detailed how virtual living (everything from online pay/electronic pay to SecondLife) impacts Christian living. Her basic premise was that by living in a world of electrons, we divorce ourselves from the physicality of Christ and embraced by the Church. Clearly, the Real Presence cannot exist virtually. Which leads me to the wisdom of e-dating? Is it wise to approach dating through cyber space? But, at the same time, isn't cyber space better than a local bar?

So, I'm befuddled. All while keeping nice religion professor guy waiting for an e-mail. Which I should send. So, off to that cyber dating site, while I continue to be befuddled by Sister's talk.

No comments: