Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Harlow?

Starting off with, this one is random. Except, not so much because I'm (blushing) watching Access Hollywood. In my defense, it's in between the nightly news (something that I always watch) and American Idol.

Okay, let's start with Harlow. That would be Nicole Richie's baby, for those of you who are wondering why I brought that up. I don't actually object to the name "Harlow" as being horribly egregious, like some names (Apple, Lasagna, Calamari) or intentionally alternatively spelled. But, if your name is Harlow, your left with a name that means "From the Mound of the People" OR the actress Jean Harlow. As a fan of classic film, I'm familiar with Jean Harlow and appreciate her cinematic contributions as the original "Blonde Bombshell." But, really, she died tragically young of kidney disease after combating rumors that she murdered her husband (Paul Bern). Not to mention that whole alienation of affection suit and sham marriage to deflect those allegations. To me, not necessarily a "win-win" name selection.

Next, American Idol. BEST TOP 24 EVAH!!!!!!! Not. I fast-forwarded through everyone, except Jason Castro (kid with dreads) and David Archuleta. And they are making it impossible for me to like Archuleta because of the constant "HE'S 17!!!!!" (TM Randy), "I want to put him in my pocket and carry him around (TM Paula), and "The other 19 contestants are putting on sackcloth" (TM Simon). I'm also bitter that Melinda Doolittle didn't win last year. Who, by the way, just released My Funny Valentine as digital single. It's pretty good. Hopefully the girls are better tonight, and I might be able to finally figure out which blonde is which.

No comments: